BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ayiti the cost of life


Part A: Haiti - Mini Study. Using the photo essays, articles, documentaries and movies. Write a report on the state of Haiti's children after the earthquake.

What human rights are being denied to them?

The Human rights that are being denied to them are the right to proper food and shelter. This is a very big deal because in order to live a healthy life you have to have three basic things, proper food, water and shelter. You have the right to live a healthy life and to have those basic needs.

What action is being taken to address this lack of rights?

Not much action is being taken but the United Nations have sent some peace keepers over to Haiti to make sure that no war or anything is going to break out. However, the United States has sent over money and a few supplies so that the people can build themselves temporary shelters and buy themselves what clean water and food they can.

Discuss the difficulties faced by this country as it tries to recover from the earthquake.

The country was very poor from the beginning and now they have many damages to pay. Also the country wasn't very developed so they didn't have the kind of architecture that some of the bigger countries have that would prevent the buildings from falling down and many of the taller buildings came down all over the place. This country now needs money so that they can rebuild their country and their people. But where do they get the money the need. The question is not how they get the money but who will help them.Some of the bigger countries don't want to give out too much money in case a disaster like this happens to them and that is very reasonable. But what if it did, wouldn't you want help to rebuild your country. I know I would love it if people would come help me rebuild my country or at least give me some money so I could keep my people healthy.

Why can some countries rebuild faster than others, and what is it about Haiti that put it at a disadvantage?

Some countries, like I said before, have the resources and the development to rebuild their countries. Also many have the money. The thing that puts Haiti at a disadvantage is they are so much less developed and they are a small country compared to many, for example, Haiti can fit into the United States about three hundred and fifty four times, yes surprisingly I actually did the math. Haiti is very small and in a region where a lot of people don't know. When I say I am from the Caribbean most faces either go blank or have the look of utter confusion on them. The location of Haiti can play a big role in why it is so disadvantaged. No one really goes to Caribbean for business, they go for a vacation but now Haiti isn't going to pick up any tourist money because who on earth wants to go to a very big garbage can for a holiday. Yes many people now refer to Haiti as a super huge garbage can. How horrible is that, instead of helping the people, you insult them.

Suggest how this country can cope in the forthcoming years.

Well I can't really say. I guess it depends on us because if they get the help they need then they can begin rebuilding their nation but if we just don't care or do anything to help, then how can they cope. I remember when I was younger and I fell down, around the time I was learning to walk my mom would be right there watching and when I was about to fall she would reach her hand out so I didn't hurt myself, she also helped me walk around the room. Basically what i am trying to say is that without your mother and father you can't do a lot of things. Let us be the mother and father to Haiti. We can help them take their first steps to rebuilding. We can be the reason Haiti grows up to be successful, because all you want for your child is for them to be happy and successful. What if WE can do that for Haiti.

Part B: Reflecting after playing the game, ‘Ayiti- Cost of Life’.
Answer these questions. You may either cut and paste them into the blog posting, or write a paragraph that embeds the information.

1. What was it like playing the game?

Playing the game was very interesting because it was one of those games that are fun, make you think and make you want to tell EVERYONE about it. The game made me think not only about strategy but also about how lucky I am to not have to work my butt off to try to make money for my family so that I could go to a good school. It also made me thankful because I am healthy and happy and we certainly don't have to worry about hurricanes coming to this side of the earth. I really enjoyed playing the game and every ow and then after I do my homework, I would quickly play until my mom told me to get my behind upstairs and ready for bed.

2. What was the game about and how would you describe it to a friend?

Well the game is really about life in Haiti after the 'quake. It shows how expensive food and health care are but in a way it is also a hopeful game. It tells us that the people of Haiti are hard working and that they want to have their country back to the way it was. The game is very, very cool and I really enjoy playing it and I am sure that most middle schoolers will. Even tough news of the earthquake will be long gone by next year, you should still have you class of next year play this game.

3. Which ‘primary objective’ did you choose, and why?

I chose happiness because in my opinion a happy life is the bes kind of life. Now a happy life doesn't mean rainbows and unicorns. A happy life is hard work. A happy life to me is having my family around and laughing with friends and not worrying if we will have dinner tomorrow night or if I can still afford to pay for school. That's what i want, that's what we all want. A happy, worry free, life that we can spend with all of our loved ones.

4. What types of decisions did you have to make about the family members while playing the game and trying to achieve your objective?

It was kind of difficult because most of the time, I would have the family run the farm but someone could get sick and then all of them would get sick and I would have to send someone to work so that the others could go to the clinic. I also gave the children an education. An education is key to happiness because if you don't learn about the things in the world then how can you be grateful for what you have. Ever since I started global issues, I have been grateful for what I have because now I know that many children across the world have probably none of the amazing things I have, like proper clothes, and education. It was hard to be happy but i managed to pull through with two thousand goud.

5. What strategies did you use? For example, did you combine work and school, or did you send anyone to school? Which worked? Which did not?

I made the parents work and sent the children to school, but during the summer the entire family worked the farm because that was when they spent most time together.

6. Why would parents choose to devote so much effort sending their children to school?

Maybe because they did not get an education when they were younger and they want their children to be very successful. And they want their children to have a better life than they did.

7. What obstacles did you face in trying to keep the children in school?

Money was a huge problem. Sometimes I just didn't have enough and sent them to work the farm.

8. How do the situations and options in the game compare with those in your own community / country?

Well I got to be in control and decide who goes where and who does what. I have never had o work a day in my life and some how playing this game made me feel like if they can do it then why can't I. It doesn't mean I am going to go get a job but I am going to work harder and study harder and try to turn my work in on time.

9. Why is access to education a huge challenge as LEDC’s try to develop?

They don't have the facilities to teach and they migt not have qualified teachers to teach the children.

10. Why is it vital to a country’s development to educate its people – especially women?

So that they can take control. They can know when there government is bad.

11. Suggest some ways that countries could prioritize education, even for women, even in the countryside. How can they do this?

Instead of farming everyday, take a few ours to learn something new.

12. Think back to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals. Look at the 8
targets. Look at how Haiti is doing so far. What will the targets be in the next 5 years for this country? Look at the MDG ‘Progress So Far’ website and search for Haiti to get the latest information.

TO have more education, better shelters, less poverty and more money.

0 comments: